Flood Insurance

Your homeowners insurance does not include coverage for a flood. One of the best protection measures is a flood insurance policy under the National Flood Insurance Program, which can be purchased through any licensed property insurance agent.

If the building is located in a floodplain, flood insurance will be required by most federally backed mortgage lenders. Even if you are not in a mapped floodplain, you may be subject to flooding from local drainage.  Ask an insurance agent how much a flood insurance policy would cost.

Don’t delay! There is a 30-day waiting period before a flood insurance policy takes effect. Learn the essentials to flood insurance, including what it covers, what it protects and who it protects at floodsmart.gov.

Contact Information
Gary Shogren
Community Development Director
(785) 227-3355